Follow me as I attempt to teach myself to make gorgeous cakes.

I have almost NO experience in making professional looking cakes. None. I'm pretty good at making dinners and lunches and even breakfasts but desserts...desserts are a different story. I'm.. okay, but I'm not great. While keeping this blog, I hope to get better each and every day, or as often as I can afford ingredients. I'm going to teach myself to make professional looking desserts, one day at a time. <3




Sunday, June 19, 2011

Day 3: Chess Squares.

     So, today I made some Chess Squares.   I got this recipe from my Great Aunt and it's always been a hit. She explained them to me as being 'cheesecake brownies'.  I personally find them quite addictive, and I love them the day after for breakfast.  They're pretty packed with sugar and butter, but totally worth it.  As Emeril says, dessert isn't something you have every day. c:

     You will need:

     For Crust:

     * 9 x 13 x 2'' glass baking dish. (greased and floured)
     * 1 pkg. yellow cake mix.  (I used Betty Crocker Golden Vanilla)
     * 1 egg, lightly beaten.
     * 1 stick butter, softened.

     For Filling:

     * 16 oz. confectioner's sugar.
     * 2, 8 oz pkgs. cream cheese, softened.
     * 3 eggs, lightly beaten.


     Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium mixing bowl, beat cake mix, egg, and butter until combined.  Mixture will be crumbly.  Press into the bottom of the greased and floured baking dish.  In another medium mixing bowl, beat the eggs, and cream cheese until almost completely smooth.  Mixture will look like cottage cheese, (ack).  Add the confectioner's sugar all at once, and stir with a spoon a bit so that when you use the mixer again, the sugar doesn't fly EVERYWHERE.  I learned this the hard way.  Beat until almost completely smooth.  There will be small lumps of sugar, and that's fine.  Pour onto the crust. 

Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the top is lightly browned around the edges a a little bubbly.  Let cool completely before slicing into squares, or it will fall and crumble and be very difficult to cut.  Eat your heart out, cheesecake.  <3
See the layers? Yum.

Crumbly crust mixture.

"

Crust pressed into baking dish.

Cottage cheese looking cream cheese and eggs mixture.

Once the confectioner's sugar was added.

Pouring onto crust.

"

Smoothing out.

About to bake.

See the layers?

Finished product.

Close up of the finished product.

Sliced and ready to devour!

I need to figure out how to make these prettier....
   
    


    

No comments:

Post a Comment